Monday, January 16, 2012

Introductory Blog Post

Greetings and welcome to my writing blog! I started this blog as a project for my class on teaching second language writing, but I hope to continue working on it after the semester is over and explore a wide range of writing-related topics.


About me: I am a graduate student in the Applied Linguistics Master's program (TESOL emphasis) at Old Dominion University.   In addition to linguistics, my academic and professional interests extend to cross-cultural communication as well as rhetoric and composition studies.  I also work as a writing tutor in The Writing Center at ODU, and am particularly committed to helping the nonnative students who come into our center for writing assistance.


In addition to my writing tutor job, I have multilingual/multicultural experience as both a teacher and a student. While a student in Munich, Germany in 2002-03, I didn't just learn about German culture; the experience of living in the international student dormitory there gave me the opportunity to view the world from many different perspectives outside my own  limited worldview.


My experience as a teacher comes from another year-long program, this time in Denver, Colorado, where I worked as a full-time volunteer in 2006-07. There, I taught introductory English to a class of adult students, all from Mexico. I learned a great deal from my students, who despite a lack of education and opportunity in early life, were bright and eager learners. Through working with them, I became more acquainted with the struggles of immigrants to this country who are more than willing to learn English, given the opportunity.


It should come as no surprise, then, that the areas of second language writing that are of interest to me focus on the linguistic, rhetorical and cultural challenges second language writers face, and the ways in which students and educators can work together in overcoming these challenges. Also, I am interested in outsiders' (or should I say "insiders'"?) perceptions of nonnative student writing, as well as the perspectives of the students themselves. Connected with this is an interest in what, specifically, constitutes second language writers' written "accents;" that is, how their writing differs grammatically, lexically and rhetorically from that of native speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment